Personal Assistance Service (PAS) | 2200 West Main Street | Erwin Square Tower | 4th Floor, Suite 400A | Durham, NC 27705 | 919-416-1PAS (919-416-1727)

Supervisor Resources

Employee Performance The role of supervising employees presents a number of challenges. High on the list of those challenges is knowing what to do to help employees who have work performance problems. There are a number of helpful strategies and resources available to supervisors to assist them in helping employees succeed in correcting work problems.

Impaired Employees It's often difficult and uncomfortable to intervene when you suspect an employee is impaired. It is helpful if you as supervisors know what to look for and how to proceed when you suspect an employee is impaired.

The Multigenerational Workplace Did you know that there are four different generations of employees in the workforce today? Never before in American workplace history have supervisors had to manage four distinct generational groups of employees.

As a supervisor, you are in a unique position to motivate employees to seek assistance for their problems. It can be difficult to tell an employees that his/her performance is below standard and must change. It is also unusually difficult for employees to accept that personal problems are affecting their job performance. Frequently, employees who have persistent performance or attendance problems are found to have underlying difficulties which are causing problems on the job. The supervisor can provide motivation toward health and productivity by addressing the poor performance and simultaneously offering a source of professional help.

When Should I Contact PAS?

In the position of supervisor or manager, you may become aware of several situations in which it would be beneficial to contact PAS such as:

  • When an employee demonstrates a change in work performance. This change may be sudden or develop over a period of time and may include one or more of the following:
    • Absenteeism, attendance problems
    • Declining or inconsistent work performance
    • "On-The-Job" absenteeism
    • Frequent tardiness
    • Increased errors, accidents, missed deadlines
    • Difficulties with concentration, confusion
    • Change in attitude, mood, appearance
    • Change in work relationships
    • Frequent complaints
    • (See Problematic Work Place Behaviors for more information)
  • When there are no work performance problems but an employee shares a personal problem with you.
  • When you are feeling stressed, frustrated, helpless, disappointed or anxious when thinking about an employee's work performance problems

How Do I Make a Referral?

A persistent performance problem is unlikely to resolve without any supervisory intervention. when referring and employee to PAS, use the following steps:

  1. Document the employees performance. Employee Relations can offer assistance in following proper disciplinary procedures.
  2. Contact PAS to inform us of a potential referral.
  3. Talk with employee about job performance expectations and outline what changes are needed.
  4. Recommend PAS as a resource to help resolve problems. The earlier and employee seeks help, the more easily problems can be resolved.
  5. Focus on work performance issues. Do not try to diagnose personal problems.
  6. Schedule a follow-up meeting to evaluate the employee's progress in reaching job performance standards.

What Happens Next?

Once the employee talks with a PAS counselor, he/she will be asked to give written permission for the supervisor to be contacted. The counselor will inform the supervisor if further appointments are scheduled. The specific nature of the employee's problem is confidential and will not be disclosed. The counselor will work with the employee to try to resolve his/her problems and may recommend the use of additional resources.

What if an Employee Refuses to Use PAS?

An employee's involvement with PAS is voluntary. Whether an employee chooses to use PAS or not, the employee is responsible for acceptable work performance and the supervisor needs to continue to monitor job performance. An employee is not sheltered from disciplinary procedure by participation in PAS, nor can employees be disciplined for not seeking assistance.

How Do I Contact PAS?

Contact the PAS office at 919-416-1PAS (919-416-1727), Monday through Friday between 8:00 A.M. and 5:00 P.M. The office is located at 2200 West Main Street, Wachovia Plaza, on the 4th floor in Suite 400A.

Counselors are available to make presentations and provide training to employees, supervisors, and groups about PAS services and various mental health topics such as Drugs in the Workplace. We can also assist departments in managing crises or losses which have occurred. These can be arranged by calling PAS.